So if you’re getting that itch to start your holiday shopping, here’s some local Ottawa sales taking place in the next few weeks that feature art, craft and the handmade. Hit up these places for one of a kind gifts and at the same time, you get to support your local artists and crafters.
- Craftalicious takes place on Saturday November 14 from 10:00-5:00 p.m. at St. Matthew’s Hall (217 First Ave.) It will feature a mish mash of everything from gourmet goodies to jewellery to children’s items to tarot readings to piano playing.
- The Glebe Community Centre (175 Third Ave.) presents an a Craft and Artisan Fair from Friday November 13 to Sunday November 15. It will feature the handmade works of over 50local artisans.
- The Ottawa Potter’s Guild is holding their 2009 Fall Sale at the Hellenic Banquet Centre (1315 Prince of Wales Drive) from Thursday November 12 to Sunday November 15 (check the website for details). As the most comprehensive sale of pottery in the region, it will functional and decorative pieces by over 70 potters.
- SKETCH is Galerie SAW Gallery’s (67 Nicholas St.) ever popular holiday fundraiser, is the ideal place to buy affordable and original works of art for your lovers, friends and family. The event is on Friday November 27 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. If you want to submit a piece to be included in the show, there’s still time: the deadline for receipt of works is Tuesday November 24th. Spins & Needles is teaming up with the Gallery to present an activity at SKETCH this year – think sketchwork meets photobooth. Stay tuned for more news!
- Patrick Gordon Framing (160 Elm St.) presents Idle Hands on Sunday November 29 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., a unique holiday gift sale of local handmade items, “something for everyone, naughty and nice”. Admission is $2.00
- 101 Frames is Gallery 101‘s (301 1/2 Bank St) largest annual fundraiser, and for this year’s silent art auction and party, local and regional artists will interpret and incorporate the second deadly sin of pride. It takes place on Saturday December 5th. There’s also still time to participate in the show: frames are available for pick up until November 21st.
- Ladyfest Ottawa Tarts ‘N Crafts well-known craft sale takes place Saturday December 5 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Jack Purcell Community Centre (320 Elgin St.) Expect lots of hip, one of a kind items and edgy wares from crafters from Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and more. Spins & Needles will be there with new items by yours truly and our popular craft kits – watch for our booth!
If there’s any other sale you’d like to include, feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail!